If you have successfully installed Intel HD graphics but your system is still showing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter rather than your current graphics, you are here at the right place.
There are lots of people who face this problem that even after successfully installing their graphics; they are unable to change it from the default one.
This usually happens when you upgrade your windows but don’t worry, it’s not that complicated to resolve this issue.
Changing from Microsoft basic display adapter to current graphics card (Intel HD Graphics)
Microsoft basic display adapter – it is the default display graphics driver of the windows. Whenever the system is unable to discover your new graphics card, it shows the default one.
It ensures that you are getting the display on your screen & later on, you can install the one you desire.
Procedure #1: Creating a restore point
Whenever you are going to update your windows, the very first thing you must do is to take a backup so that if something goes wrong, you don’t lose anything important.
The purpose of creating this restore point is to have a way back to your previous configuration if any major issue arrives. Here are a few important steps for you to follow to get this done.
- Click the ‘search box’ on the desktop.
- Write ‘Create Restore Point’ & press enter to open it.
- A dialog box of system properties will appear. You need to click ‘System Protection’.
- System Protection must be enabled to Drive C especially but to all other drives as well.
- Click Create button & name this specific Restore Point with the current date (Just a suggestion).
- Again click Create button & wait for the process completion. It will be done within a few seconds.
Procedure#2: Updating via Device Manager
- The very first step is to click the start button on the taskbar.
- To display further options, right-click ‘This PC’ & click the manage button.
- Click ‘Device Manager’.
- Now click at ‘Display adaptors’ to expand the list, Here you will see the list of all graphics adaptors installed on your PC.
You are supposed to change your Microsoft basic display adapter to Intel HD graphics, so you need to click ‘Intel HD graphics from the list’.
Note: If there are no other options available, it means that you haven’t installed the driver correctly. In this scenario, you will only have one option available i.e. the default one (Microsoft basic display adapter).
Right-click on Microsoft basic display adaptor and then select Update software driver option.
Procedure #3: Updating graphics adapter via windows update
You will receive an error message in most cases like this ‘you may suffer/experience with the display’. But, most of the time, you will experience poor graphics but this message won’t appear.
The potential solution to this problem is updating the driver through windows update or you can also download it via the manufacturer site.
- Click the Start button on the taskbar, from the desktop.
- Select Settings & then select ‘Update & security’.
- It will run all the available updates of the system so wait & let it complete.
- After all, this is done, you need to restart your system.
- See now, these things should work fine.
If this is not the convenient option for you & you know the name & brand of your graphics adapter, you can always visit the manufacturer website & search for the latest updates. This is comparatively the easiest choice for you.
Intel HD Graphics is missing in the Device Manager
In some other cases, the windows users may be unable to update to their Intel HD Graphics adapter since its missing in the Device Manager.
For all the users who are not tech-savvy and have a lack of knowledge about these things, it’s becoming the major issue.
Most of the users choose to change their graphics card instead of troubleshooting because they don’t know the actual process to fix the problem. Here it is resolved for you.
Procedure#1: Checking the graphic card
You have your new Intel HD graphics card & it gives you a great feeling but, before proceeding, you need to make sure that all of your peripherals & graphics card are connected.
This is the most important thing to check before doing anything else so invest some time on opening up the system unit & give a detailed look at everything inside.
There may be the case that your graphic adapter is hidden and you don’t know about it. To resolve such an issue, you need to make sure that all of your devices are shown because the default setting of the windows usually hides the devices & it might be the only issue you are facing.
- Click the start button on the taskbar from the desktop.
- Right-click ‘This PC’ and then click the Manage button.
- Click View & then select ‘show hidden devices’.
- Click ‘Device manager’ & select ‘Display adapters’ to expand the list to show further available options.
- See if the Intel HD graphics option is available & right-click it.
- Click the Uninstall button & don’t forget to restart your PC at this stage. It will let your system reinstall your graphics driver.
- After restarting your system, you are now on the desktop. Look if the graphics adapter is available in the device manager. Ensure to uncheck the option named show hidden devices.
Procedure# 3: Enabling Intel HD graphic services
If the method#2 didn’t fix your issue, then the last but not the least recommendation for you is enabling the Intel HD graphic services in case if it’s disabled.
In this scenario, there is no issue with your graphics card but the core reason is that it’s not being shown up in the device manager. Let us get to the actual process.
- Press ‘Windows key + X’, while you are on desktop & click Run.
- Type “Services.msc” & enter.
- Look for the Intel Display driver service & right-click on it > click properties.
- Click Start and then select Automatic on the list i.e. startup type.
- Click log on > local system account > recovery tab and then restart services.
- Keep repeating the above-listed steps on the remaining and then click Ok.
- Restart your PC and see if the things work fine.
We tried our level best to proffer you with all possible solutions to your problem. If you are still facing some sort of issues while installing your Intel HD graphics card, just let us know & we will be there with our full support.