Data Science & Data Analysis is the future of the world. Important decisions are made on the basis of data that is being collected and then analyzed by the data scientist.
Data scientists require multitude of data to analyze and use that data to make important decisions.
It means that they require computers/laptops with extra-ordinary specs such as storage, processing power, and many more.
This is why in this guide we have picked top 5 laptops and reviewed them – to analyze – what makes them perfect for data science and data analysis.
- Best Laptop For Data Science And Data Analysis [Top Picks]
- How to Choose Good A Laptop For Data Science & Analysis:
- Is 8gb RAM laptop a great choice for data science?
- How much RAM is required to handle Big Data?
- What is the best processor for Data science?
- Are laptops used for Data Science & Analysis expensive?
- Can I use any laptop for Data analysis?
Best Laptop For Data Science And Data Analysis [Top Picks]
All the laptops listed here, are highly sophisticated, sleek designed, and have the smarted configuration.
Dell i5577-5335BLK-PUS Inspiron 15
For someone who needs a super-fast data recording, without freezing or hanging; this Dell Inspiron 15” laptop is an ideal option! With remarkable specifications and superior graphics – this high-end laptop comes under a price of $$$.
- Intel Core i5-7300HQ, 7th Generation, Quad-Core processor.
- Processing power up to 3.5 GHz, with 6MB Cache.
- Solid-state drive with 256GB, without Optical drive option.
- Operating System – Windows 10, Home 64-bit, English.
- Anti-glare, LED-backlit, 15.6-inch FHD display – 1920 x 1080
- Dedicated Graphics Card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, with 4GB
- Outstanding audio quality with Wave MaxxAudio.
- The RAM capacity of 8GB with 2400MHz
- With up to 32GB DDR4.
- Average Battery life – 7 hours.
- 3 USB 3.0 ports.
ASUS VivoBook Thin and Light Gaming Laptop:
Looking for a thin, lightweight laptop with high-end features and performance to smoothly run your tasks? Then this ASUS VivoBook is the best you can have. The sleek design and great processing speed – this laptop provides a congestion-free experience in just $$$.
- Quad-Core, Intel 7th Generation powerful i7-7700HQ processor.
- The processing power of 2.8GHz – with the Turbo option up to 3.8GHz.
- Uninterrupted, full potential performance at standard voltage.
- 6-inch Anti-glare, full HD color-rich display.
- 16GB DDR4 RAM and 256GB M.2 SATA3 SSD + 1TB HDD.
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB graphics.
- Ultra-thin, 15-inch wide with 0.8-inch thickness chassis.
- Illuminated keyboard for easy work at night.
- Good sound quality with Human/Kardon certified audio.
- Dual-fan thermal design to prevent heat-up.
- Latest Windows 10 as an OS.
- 3 USB ports including – USB 3.1 Type-C (Gen1), USB 3.1 Type-A, USB 2.0, & HDMI.
- Lightning-fast dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi
Dell XPS9560-7001SLV-PUS 15.6”:
Whether you need a laptop for high-quality gaming or perform your high-end tasks – this Dell XPS9560 is perfect for both purposes.
Enjoy the luxury of Infinity Display with Dell’s ultra-slim and sleek laptop. Its top-notch performance makes it easy to carry out heavy-duty work.
- 7th generation, intel Quad-core, i7-7700HQ super-fast processor.
- With 3.8GHz processing power and 6M cache.
- 16 GB RAM – DDR4-2400MHz up to 32GB.
- Solid State Drive with 512GB PCle storage memory.
- 6-inch InfinityEdge, 4K Ultra HD display.
- Windows 10, Home 64-bit English, as default OS.
- Dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, 4GB graphics card.
- 2 – 3.0 USB ports.
- 12 hours of average battery life.
Lenovo 320 Business Laptop PC 15.6″:
The trademark of quality and convenience, Lenovo – presents its 320 Business Laptop. The design and durability of this Lenovo laptop are brilliant – offering smooth, smart, and super-fast performance. Anyone who is looking for brilliance in performance – this laptop is ideal for them – at a price of $$$.
- Windows 10, Home 64-Bit, Englis – Operating System.
- Uses 7th generation intel core i7-7500U, powerful and strong processor.
- The processing power of 2.7GHz, upgraded up to 3.5GHz with 4M cache.
- Dual Speaker with Dolby Audio to provide the best sound experience.
- NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory.
- 6-inch Widescreen, anti-glare, FHD resolution of 1920 x 1080.
- 12GB DDR4 2133MHz system memory (4GB+8GB)
- 256GB Solid State Drive
- Bluetooth 4.1, 2 x USB 3.0 Type-A,1 x USB 3.0 Type-C, 1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack, 4-in-1 (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC) Media Card Reader, 1x HDMI.
- Smart and efficient, dual-core, processor with four-way processing performance.
Acer Aspire R 15 2-in-1 Laptop, 15.6″:
Want a modern design, portable, and easy to carry a laptop to carry out your high-end operations? Then Acer Aspire R is what you need. It has a sophisticated design with an upbeat performance.
You can now enjoy working at 360 degrees. Packed with brilliant features, Acer Aspire R is an affordable & budget-friendly machine in just $$$.
- Windows 10 Home
- The average battery life of 9 hours.
- 12GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB SSD. Supports SDXC card reader.
- 6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) Multi-touch widescreen LED-backlit IPS display.
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7500U Processor.
- The processing power of 3.5GHz.
- NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM.
Apple 15″ MacBook Pro:
The latest addition to Apple MacBook family – 15-inch MacBook Pro – offers a classic, sleek design along with unbeatable performance. Its high-end and super-fast performance makes it an ideal option for anyone who wants to complete their tasks smoothly and efficiently! Enjoy trouble-free working with Apple MacBook Pro at a competitive price of $$$.
- 512GB SSD storage.
- quad-core Intel Core i7 processor.
- The processing power of 2.9GHz with an up-gradation option to Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz.
- Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory.
- Touch Bar and Touch ID.
How to Choose Good A Laptop For Data Science & Analysis:
Hunting down a laptop for data science and data analysis work requires some homework and research. To choose the right laptop for your heavy-duty work – you need to look for these factors:
RAM (Random Access Memory):
The software that is used to process and analyze the data requires strong and fast processing power. It means that you need a greater RAM. The ideal RAM for data analysis is 16 GB – but a RAM of 8GB is also a great option. You can easily make your algorithms and let your laptop sleep while it computes.
Data scientists have to carry their laptop almost everywhere. It means that you need to choose a laptop that has a sleek design with a lightweight frame/case. However, the weight of the laptop goes up with the increases in the processing power of the laptop.
If you want to write high-level and high-quality code than you just can’t rely on AMD or Intel HD GPU. You would need something that would be compatible with deep learning libraries such as Theano, Torch, Tensorflow. The best option in regard would be any laptop with an NVIDIA GPU.
Another thing that matters for data analysis and data science projects is the operating system of your laptop. While the most famous ones are the Windows and Mac OS – for a data scientist – Linux and its other versions are more suitable. So hence, you need to select a laptop that would allow you to use two operating systems at a time.
Processor & Processing Power:
Writing code or running analysis for data requires high processing speed and power. It means that you can’t afford your laptop to freeze or hand during the computation or coding process.
This is why it’s quite important to select a laptop that comes with the latest processor with maximum processing power & speed. The Intel i5 is a good option however for better work experience and outstanding performance – intel 7th generation i7 processors are ideal!
Average Battery Life:
For data collection, data science, and its analysis one has to move from one place to another. It means there may come a time when you don’t have access to a charging socket or adapter.
But your work is far too important – when the algorithm is computing – you can’t afford your laptop to run out of battery. To handle this uncertainty you need to select a laptop with a good average battery time. Good battery time is about 7 hours to 10 hours without charging.
In addition to all the specs and features – another thing that is quite important when selecting a good laptop – is its durability. Often the laptop has great built-in features, specs, and performance. However, their case/frame falls apart within a year – despite careful handling.
So hence, when you are choosing a laptop for performing your data science operations make sure you choose a machine that is durable without its performance being compromised.
The last factor that impacts your decision of picking up the best laptop for data science and data analysis is the laptop’s storage. Here you need to look for two things – one the capacity of the laptop’s built SSD and whether the laptop supports external/additional storage or not.
Usually 1 TB Hard disk is the minimum requirement to carry out the algorithms for data analysis. In the case of SSD – the minimum space would be 256 GB to support your operations.
Is 8gb RAM laptop a great choice for data science?
Yes, 8gb RAM is the minimum requirement to handle heavy-duty work like data science and data analysis.
How much RAM is required to handle Big Data?
If you are dealing with Big data with massive storage – then you need a laptop with 16GB of RAM.
What is the best processor for Data science?
The best processor in this regard is the intel’s latest 7th generation, i7 processor with the processing power of 3.5GHz.
Are laptops used for Data Science & Analysis expensive?
Yes! Laptops designed for high-end, heavy-duty tasks have unusual specs as compared to usual laptops. Therefore, the prices for these top-notch laptops are higher than most of the other laptops available in the market.
Can I use any laptop for Data analysis?
It depends on what algorithms and tools you are using. Usually, the advanced data analysis tools and the software does not perform well on ordinary laptops/computer. So hence, you have to be specific about the specs and features of the laptop/computer.
No doubt, that there are plenty of laptop options that are good for high-end tasks and operations. Although, all the laptops mentioned in this article have only made their ways – after a careful and honest review. Each laptop has its own features, and functions.
However, based on the features, price, functionality, and performance the laptop worth spending money is the ASUS VivoBook Thin and Light Gaming Laptop!
Its performance is remarkable, with great battery life and efficient thermal design. Furthermore, the lightweight of the machines makes it a good fit for anyone who has to move a lot.
The second best laptop among the above-mentioned laptops is the Lenovo 320 Business laptop. Although its battery time is not great – but all of its other features overcome this one flaw.
In the end, we would like to say that as the data science & data analysis is a sophisticated field – you need to pick a laptop with performance and specs that helps you carry out your work without any hassle!